Fixing User Folder Permissions in El Capitan
Just this week I came across an error related to updating from 10.8 Maverics to 10.11 El Capitan. After running the updater all subfolders of the userfolder had the access forbidden sign on them. Titles in iTunes were missing and the Aperture Library was inaccessible in consequence.
Actually this is easy to fix...
- Shut down your Mac
- Reboot holding down the cmd+r keys at the same time until the Apple logo appears
- In the menu choose Terminal
- In terminal type: resetpassword and press enter
- In the reset password window choose your internal hard disk
- Then select the user whose permissions you want to repair
- Then click reset Account (DO NOT RESET THE PASSWORD)
- Log in as the user
- Everything should look OK now